Summer of 2009 Graphic Design investigation Blog.

This blog is place where I shall record my summer and anything about graphic design that interests me. It's a place for me to post my personal and professional development within graphics and help to structure my pan for the 3rd year. I hope to develop my understanding of graphic design and maintain my practice during the summer. 

Tuesday 15 September 2009

A Design For Life



The legend aka weirdo = Philippe Starck.



The competitors.

I watched an amazing programme lastnight on BBC 2 called A Design For Life. It was the first part thats going to be on over a period of weeks. The description goes as follows...

"In an effort to find a new generation of British design talent, Philippe Starck, one of the world's best known product designers, invites 12 hopefuls to a school of design he has set up in Paris. Over coming weeks he will whittle them down until one fortunate student wins the opportunity of a lifetime - to work alongside the master for six months at his agency in the French capital.

Ranging from unemployed retail worker Jess to college lecturer Ilsa, the students meet Starck for the first time and discover what a larger than life character he is. And they face their first challenge - to head to a local hypermarket and find examples of good and bad design. When they explain their thinking to Starck he critiques them and selects the weakest five for a further nerve-wracking test. When it's over the group of 12 is now 10 and the school of design can begin in earnest."

It is far more about product design than anything else, but i found it really interesting, seeing how people work and explain their concepts. I sat critically analysing their work without even realising it and understanding their 'lingo' it was great! I got really annoyed when the first two out of the selected twelve had to leave because i really didnt agree with his reasonning on getting rid of one of them. What an amazing opportunity, I think I'm going to be glued to the next few episodes and follow it to see who win. Check it out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment